Map of life expectancy at birth from Global Education Project.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Call me an old grump . . .

. . .but for some reason I'm just not joining this celebration as enthusiastically as I should.

According to Anna Barford and colleagues, editorializing in the April 8 BMJ, "The year 2006 should not be allowed to pass without at least a quiet celebration that this is the first year in human history when -- across almost all the world -- women can expect to enjoy a longer life expectancy than men. . . . Almost 30 years ago, amid much fanfare, the eradication of smallpox was announced. But when it becomes certain that women everywhere can expect to live longer than men, also a remarkable achievement, a similar announcement is unlikely."

I dunno, I can't quite put my finger on it, but it seems to me there's bad news in there somewhere . . .

No comments: