Map of life expectancy at birth from Global Education Project.

Sunday, June 03, 2012

Leavin', on a jet plane


I'm headed to Miami today for the International Conference on HIV treatment and prevention adherence. I'll let y'all know what interesting stuff I learn there.

My own little presentation has to do with differences in provider-patient interactions depending on the patient's race/ethnicity. It's not super-dramatic, but basically, there is more talk about medication adherence with Black and Latino patients, regardless of whether they have suppressed viral loads or say they are taking their pills; Black patients talk less overall; and there is less humor and empathic utterances by doctors with Black patients. This is based on my analysis of 415 recorded routine visits at 4 different clinics around the country. Don't know if it means a whole lot, or what exactly it means, but it's at least suggestive.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: