Map of life expectancy at birth from Global Education Project.

Monday, March 18, 2013

Public Opinion Polling

I just saw Al Sharpton (I don't call him "Reverend" because I don't revere him) report that 53% of Americans think "The Iraq war was a mistake."

Had I been among those polled, I would not have answered that it was a mistake. Obviously, they did it on purpose. It was a crime against humanity. It was a monstrous evil perpetrated against people in Iraq and the United States, first and foremost, but everyone and every living thing on the planet to some degree. It was a world historical crime with the complicity of, among others who you might think you admire including Hillary Clinton, Christopher Hitchens, Mary McGrory and the entire editorial staff of the New York Times, Washington Post, and Boston Globe. Whatever it was, it was not a mistake.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huh??

A mistake is a misguided or wrong action or judgement. You seem to be saying that the war did great harm. How, then, could it not have been worn?

Cervantes said...

A mistake is when you dial a wrong phone number, or call somebody by the wrong name. I would not characterize the Nazi holocaust as a "mistake," nor would I characterize the illegal war of aggression committed by the Bush administration in that way.

Anonymous said...

agreed Cervantes but be careful of Goodwin's Law.

Anonymous said...

Also, I'm really surprised it is as low as 53%. Not sure I believe that.

Cervantes said...

Actually, I'm not worried about Godwin's law -- an illegal war of aggression is a crime against humanity. We are in fact getting into comparable territory.

Anonymous said...

The point is not that the territory is not comparable, but that whenever Nazi's are invoked, peoples emotions preclude them from hearing the argument. Which is fine if you are preaching to the choir but not if you are talking to anyone outside your worldview.