Map of life expectancy at birth from Global Education Project.

Friday, May 22, 2015

I commend to your attention . .

this important and eloquent essay by my former student Katie Brooks, a Brown medical student. Unfortunately, JAMA won't let you read the whole thing, but you can read the first page, which is most of it.

If you checked out the talk I posted a couple of weeks back, you'll notice that Katie is telling us that she is being taught, in medical school, all the bad ideas and habits I discussed for our pre-med students: racial stereotyping masquerading as "cultural competence," casual and unreflective discrimination, failure to grapple with the real determinants of health and illness out in the world, oblivious callousness to the problems of the most vulnerable.

It takes some courage for a student to write that. BTW in case you missed it here's the link to my talk.


No comments: