Map of life expectancy at birth from Global Education Project.

Friday, May 19, 2023

Un milagro

 No post yesterday because I had cataract surgery. I'd already had the left eye done a couple of weeks ago -- they do them one at a time, I think mostly so they can bill for two encounters. But aside from the padded bill -- and that's not the only way they sucked up extra cash -- the result was absolutely fantastic.


To be honest, I'd forgotten what it's like to see clearly. The surgery is actually no big deal -- painless, only local anesthesia, and instant results. Now I only need over the counter reading glasses and otherwise the world is new. So yes, medical services are expensive and there was a great deal about the process that was cumbersome and annoying, and access is inequitable and some people can't afford it. But we do have to put all that in the context of incredible advances in technology and huge benefits that just weren't possible in even the recent past. As I post my gripes here, I want everyone to keep that in mind. The bad stuff wouldn't really matter if not for all the good stuff.

1 comment:

Don Quixote said...

¡Un milagro, de hecho! Que tu visión permanezca clara y sin obstrucciones.