Map of life expectancy at birth from Global Education Project.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Doctors Orders!

Dr. Showalter has links and commentary about a new "Action Plan for Enhancement of Medication Adherence." I basically agree with his reservations -- adherence isn't just about educating patients, it's about doctors and patients figuring out what each other's goals are and getting on the same page. (Paternalism, anyone?) In other words, it's a two way street. I'm not going to adhere to medical advice if it just isn't worth it to me, and you could educate me up the wazoo and it isn't going to matter.

But I will add this -- it's a two way street in another way, because doctors don't always adhere to medical advice either. There are some prescriptions people just should not adhere to, because they shouldn't have been written in the first place. I'll tell you a case in point, one of those personal anecdotes I try to use sparingly, tomorrow.

But, if I am feelin' the city breakin' and everybody shakin' and what I want to be is stayin' alive, and my doctor does happen to have the right idea about how to do it, then whatever it takes to help me follow the advice is a good thing. Right now, half the people don't, and yes, this is a big problem.

2 comments:

kamagra said...

interesting and appropriate comment , the doctor only tell us the true and the best for us... very good

Kamagra said...

The issue has been already exposed several times by several people, but what about the real solution? Even though it is hard to face it, we must hurry up and come up with something before it is too late.