Map of life expectancy at birth from Global Education Project.

Thursday, December 22, 2022

Tufts bomb threats

I have a long association with Tufts University. I received a master's degree in environmental policy from Tufts in 1986, I was a TA for a course in health policy at Tufts while I was working on my doctorate at Brandeis, and I joined the Tufts faculty, first as an adjunct in 1998, then full time in 2010 until I moved to Brown in 2017. Tufts is a full-fledged research university, but the undergraduate college isn't huge, about 6,000 students, so the main Medford campus has a small college feel. My cousin's daughter also graduated from Tufts, and of course I had many friends there through my various relationships.


It hasn't gotten a lot of attention outside of the Boston area, but Tufts has been dealing with a series of bomb threats over the past week, seven of them as of this writing. They've all been fake, but of course they have to be investigated, buildings have to be evacuated, and it's disrupted finals and gotten everybody pretty shook up. The linked article from the student newspaper doesn't emphasize it -- apparently because the police have asked them not to -- but the messages all accuse the university of "anti-white racism" because of its diversity, equity and inclusion programs. 


This seems to be the main schtick of the political right nowadays, rhetoric that associates truthful confrontation with racism, and promotion of equity and justice, with prejudice against or hostility to white people. This is a kind of psychopathology, that you are entitled to your privilege and trying to build a more egalitarian society is therefore unjust. Apparently this kind of fragility is a side effect of that privilege. This idiot or idiots could stew in their own juice, but unfortunately it's too easy to email a bomb threat and cause immense disruption. You have to fear that there will be a lot more of this, and it isn't easy to combat.

No comments: