Map of life expectancy at birth from Global Education Project.

Sunday, March 10, 2024

The Dark Web?

Norton Utilities is a good product, but they relentlessly try to upsell you. The latest trick is to tell me that data brokers trying to sell my data, and I should pay them to expunge it. The data in question consists of my name, address and telephone number -- actually two numbers, both of which are more than twelve years old. Finally, it includes my purported relatives, which consist of my dead mother, a guy who lives across the street to whom I am unrelated, and three people I never heard of.

 

When I was a youth, and actually until about 15 years ago, the Post Office used to deliver a book to every household in town, listing the address and phone number of everybody who didn't proactively ask to be left out. There was even one for Manhattan, which was useful as a booster seat for small children. In other words, this is ridiculous. I want people to be able to find my phone number, as long as they don't cold call me to sell me penis enhancement pills, which they can do anyway by random digit dialing. We certainly have many very good reasons to be worried about our privacy these days, but having our address and phone number listed somewhere is not among them. Just sayin'.

No comments: