Map of life expectancy at birth from Global Education Project.

Monday, June 03, 2024

Regarding commenting . . .

As I have tried to say many times, I am perfectly willing to publish comments that don't agree with what I have written in one way or another, but they have to be logical, supported by facts, and on point. I would love to get more of those and engage in dialog and argument, but unfortunately most of the comments taking exception are just idiotic right wing talking points harvested from NewsMax and the like. 


Yes, I'm a college professor. That means I demand factual accuracy, logic, and honest intentions. Too many would-be commenters don't give me that. You may think you've come up with a gotcha, but you're actually just full of crap, and I don't have the time or energy to argue with people who aren't interested in honest discourse.

2 comments:

Don Quixote said...

Just one comment to Sitting Duck: I really do agree with most of the points that Cervantes makes. He's an old friend, who has shaped much of my worldview, though not all of it, as I have many other influences in my life and am also a critical thinker who has developed various perspectives of my own. I think that many of my comments are well reasoned, but I certainly don't hesitate to throw in expletives when it comes to the man that I called Shitler and the Republican party, which is now a cult and fundamentally insane. I do find myself outraged at the ineffably mountainous pile of bullshit we now face. Everything is a conspiracy, people still talk about hydroxychloroquine, and if a Republican party candidate – especially the one with orange hair – is found guilty in court, or loses an election, it's a witch hunt. What a bunch of insane bullshit ... the country I grew up in in the 1960s and '70s was simply not this insane.

I'm guessing that Cervantes simply doesn't want to publish comments if they're fundamentally illogical or ignorant. What's the point? Is it even possible to argue with someone who is premises are egregiously flawed? But I do notice that when someone presents such an argument in a rational manner, Cervantes does seem to take pains to blow holes in their premises.

Perhaps you may have some other suggestions for readers who want to leave comments so that they can present their arguments in a convincing way. For my part, I'll try to drop the F-bomb less frequently. After all, I am not Robert De Niro, and I can't pull it off with his aplomb :-)

Don Quixote said...

PS: Once again, I apologize for not going back (on my little cell phone) and editing all the typos that have cropped up because Apple's terrible voice recognition is trying to "help" me :-(

Your comments, however, Sitting Duck, are pretty impeccably edited, which I appreciate ... because I'm an editor!