Map of life expectancy at birth from Global Education Project.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Grantsmanship

Us junior faculty and independent research institute types aren't actually living in the post-industrial age, we're hunter/gatherers. Specifically, we hunt and gather research grants. I spend all my time writing proposals so I never have any actual time to do research.

My big mistake was not shooting into the barrel of fish at the John Templeton Foundation, where they will gladly give you a research grant for a Randomized Controlled Trial of remote intercessory prayer. Sadly, it doesn't cure heart disease after all. (Sisters - you can stop saying the rosary for my male pattern baldness now. I'll still make this year's donation to the Bishop's fund.)

Actually, if the Templeton Foundation and the Discovery Institute want to try to prove that religious beliefs are scientifically supportable, I say, Bring 'em on.

No comments: