I'm talking about Mike Huckabee, who just might be the Republican nominee for president -- and no, it is not farfetched at all. CNN and the New York Times can't be bothered to tell you who this guy really is, but Alex Koppelman and Vincent Rossmeier will. It's not a secret either. But the corporate media, the politicians, and religious leaders who are somewhere this side of sane are all afraid to say anything about it.
The candidate's religion is supposed to be off limits. We can't talk about Mormon doctrine and how that might influence a Romney presidency. In fact, it isn't polite even to inquire what it is. The same goes for Huckabee.
Why the hell not? Huckabee has already said, publicly and right out loud, that he wants to amend the constitution of the United States to conform to his religious beliefs. He has said more generally that he will be guided in his conduct in office by his religion. So it seems to me a matter of the highest urgency that we all know exactly what his beliefs are. It is perfectly appropriate to demand that he spell them out, completely and in detail. He's the one who says it matters.
- What do you believe is the age of the earth? Of the universe?
- Do you believe that the diversity of biological species on earth today is the result of Darwinian evolution?
- Do you believe that at some time in the near future the world as we know it will end? If so, what specific events will occur at that time? What are the implications of this prophecy for public policy right now?
- Do you believe that the United States should be governed as a Christian theocracy?
- Do you believe that the Bible is the ultimate test for all claims as to what is true?
- If so, do you want the United States to be governed by Old Testament law? What should be the punishment, in a Christian United States, for blasphemy, for homosexual acts, or for profaning the Sabbath?
- What should happen to citizens who are not Christian, who deny the divinity of Jesus, and who refuse to be governed by biblical law?
Will anyone stand up in a public place and ask him any of these questions? What if he refuses to answer?