Map of life expectancy at birth from Global Education Project.

Friday, February 01, 2013

Vitamin pills: Nothing will come of nothing

This meta-analysis in the new BMJ is the most zero finding ever. I mean to tell you, the bottom line is zip, zilch, nada, bupkis, totally nothing: taking vitamin supplements, be they specifically anti-oxidant vitamins or multi-vitamins or whatever you want absolutely, positively, does not prevent heart disease or the bad consequences thereof based on a huge amount of unusually consistent evidence.

Other reviews have found that vitamin supplements don't prevent cancer -- in fact certain vitamin supplements actually increase the risk of cancer in smokers. Taking vitamin supplements doesn't make you live longer, doesn't stop your hair from falling out, doesn't do a damn thing for you as long as you eat a half decent diet and don't have a specific disease (such as pernicious anemia) that requires supplementation.

These products are heavily marketed, you see them on teevee all the time. Ignore the advertisements. Save your money. Eat your veggies.

That is all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to read this. I don't take any vitamins, but I have always had a nagging worry that I should. Whew! Good diet and fresh veggies win again!

suzana martin said...

The NES infoceuticals are unlike any other remedy because they are pure QED information. The NES approach is fundamentally different from most other biotechnologies and their remedies because it is not concerned with treating symptoms or targeting specific things in the body, such as viruses or bacteria.

Unknown said...

Spirits of the Season
I have always resonated with this Solstice season, and sought out the deepest meaning of Christmas that I could find, even back in high school. Now it has expanded to include so much more, or at least there are more reasons to explain what I already felt at this time of year. Christmas at my uncle’s estate on the cliffs of Lake Erie was quite a scene. I’d disappear from my 30 cousins for a while and wander out on Erie’s ice dunes or tromp in the snow peering in on the happy scenes in others’ windows. I needed the blustery outdoor elements and the interior candlelight. It was always a magical feeling that I couldn’t explain.
Cellular Meditation CD`s
to Dr R Brand
Viraxl
Longevity Pure Medicine
Immune Sweet