Map of life expectancy at birth from Global Education Project.

Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Wednesday Bible Study: Name that tune!

The introduction to several psalms refers to events in 1 Samuel when David is on the run from Saul, although the content is not really specific to the tale. In Psalm 56, "The Dove on Far-off Terebinths" is thought to be the name of the tune. (Terebinths are a kind of tree.) We've seen a few of these instances where an existing composition is apparently given new lyrics. Oddly, however, 1 Samuel 21, in which David goes to Gad, does not actually say that the Philistine seized him. David was apparently afraid that King Achish would do him ill, so he pretended to be insane, whereupon Achish expelled him. But there is no direct reference to these events in the psalm.

 

Regarding Psalm 57, "Do Not Destroy" seems a rather bizarre name for a song -- it's something we would expect to see on a file folder -- but it must have made sense in context. David in the cave refers to 1 Samuel 22, in which he flees from Gath to the cave of Adullam, where he collected a following of 400. But again, there is nothing specific about these events in the psalm.


To the choirmaster: according to The Dove on Far-off Terebinths. A Miktam of David, when the Philistines seized him in Gath.

56 Be gracious to me, O God,
for men trample upon me;
    all day long foemen oppress me;
my enemies trample upon me all day long,
    for many fight against me proudly.
When I am afraid,
    I put my trust in thee.
In God, whose word I praise,
    in God I trust without a fear.
    What can flesh do to me?

All day long they seek to injure my cause;
    all their thoughts are against me for evil.
They band themselves together, they lurk,
    they watch my steps.
As they have waited for my life,
    so recompense[a] them for their crime;
    in wrath cast down the peoples, O God!

Thou hast kept count of my tossings;
    put thou my tears in thy bottle!
    Are they not in thy book?
Then my enemies will be turned back
    in the day when I call.
    This I know, that[b] God is for me.
10 In God, whose word I praise,
    in the Lord, whose word I praise,
11 in God I trust without a fear.
    What can man do to me?

12 My vows to thee I must perform, O God;
    I will render thank offerings to thee.
13 For thou hast delivered my soul from death,
    yea, my feet from falling,
that I may walk before God
    in the light of life.

Footnotes

  1. Psalm 56:7 Cn: Heb deliver
  2. Psalm 56:9 Or because

To the choirmaster: according to Do Not Destroy. A Miktam of David, when he fled from Saul, in the cave.

57 Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me,
    for in thee my soul takes refuge;
in the shadow of thy wings I will take refuge,
    till the storms of destruction pass by.
I cry to God Most High,
    to God who fulfils his purpose for me.
He will send from heaven and save me,
    he will put to shame those who trample upon me.Selah
God will send forth his steadfast love and his faithfulness!

I lie in the midst of lions
    that greedily devour[a] the sons of men;
their teeth are spears and arrows,
    their tongues sharp swords.

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens!
    Let thy glory be over all the earth!

They set a net for my steps;
    my soul was bowed down.
They dug a pit in my way,
    but they have fallen into it themselves.Selah

My heart is steadfast, O God,
    my heart is steadfast!
I will sing and make melody!
    Awake, my soul!
Awake, O harp and lyre!
    I will awake the dawn!
I will give thanks to thee, O Lord, among the peoples;
    I will sing praises to thee among the nations.
10 For thy steadfast love is great to the heavens,
    thy faithfulness to the clouds.

11 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens!
    Let thy glory be over all the earth!

Footnotes

  1. Psalm 57:4 Cn: Heb are aflame
 



No comments: