Map of life expectancy at birth from Global Education Project.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Duty calls

I've been "tagged" with one of those "memes" by Revere, and I suppose I ought to be a good sport.

4 jobs I've had: I mentioned managing the concession at the town beach once before, and I also mentioned being a community organizer in Philadelphia. I once had a job on an assembly line packing boxes of boxes into boxes. After I'd been staring at the conveyor belt for hours, when they turned it off for maintenance, I would see it quite clearly and convincingly moving backwards. Is this a well-known illusion? Finally, I will now reveal that I was once a member of the resident acting company at a theater in Pennsylvania.

4 movies I could watch over and over: Probably none, I'm not really a repeat consumer of movies. But I definitely liked One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Olivier's Henry V, Ran, and since this game seems to call for confession, The Blues Brothers (in which I perceived a tender pathos).

4 places I've lived: I'm a generic Northeasterner, no place exotic. Philly suburbs, DC, Boston, and Connecticut shoreline. Booooooring.

4 TV shows I love to watch: I don't have cable. The only shows I care about are Red Sox and Patriots games. Sometimes I watch Jeopardy. I generally avoid TV news.

4 places I've been on vacation: I don't really do a lot of vacation travel either, though I've traveled a lot on business. I did go to the Spoleto festival in Charleston one year, thanks to a friend, and I have talked about my trip to San Quintin in Baja California Norte, and I used to go to Santa Barbara every year where my ex's father lived, and one year we went to San Francisco. I toured England and Wales with my grandparents as a pimply pubescent. On business, I've been to Little Rock, Puerto Rico (stayed in Isla Verde), Seattle (went to Mt. Ranier), Houston, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Miami, Baltimore and DC many times, Portland Maine . . . I could go on and on, I've been all over the U.S.

4 web sites I visit daily: Check the side bar for some good ones. I'm gonna plug Today in Iraq, Buzzflash, and this one is weekly but that's how often they update, the British Medical Journal. And of course, Effect Measure.

4 favorite foods: Sushi, baba ghanouj, pasta with garlic and wine sauce and whatever thematic vegetable, and broccoli, yes I like broccoli, so there.

4 places I'd rather be: Places I've never been but would like to check out, maybe starting with Madagascar, Quito, Bombay, and Mars.

Phew. Glad that's over with.

No comments: